Author Topic: Why is JPop banned?  (Read 3332 times)

Offline Sanguin

• Nononoononnononononnono SHUSH
Why is JPop banned?
« on: August 16, 2015, 12:21:38 AM »
I heard from Ganon11000 on air that JPop is banned, why?
I myself enjoy JPop and would love to hear more of it on air, and I'm pretty sure MANY more people would agree with me on that.
So why ban it?
I like eating milk

Offline Stevy6

• Presenting Team
  • Always time for tunes and coffee
    • Bestpricebreaks.co.uk
Re: Why is JPop banned?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »
Hi sanguin, im speaking from a personal point of view and not the stations, But I'm sure you will appreciate its a niche audience that loves j pop.
I personally don't listen to it. But then I listen to some niche music too,that a lot of listeners don't like,  the occasional j pop track does appear, as you will of heard in Gannons show last week. At least 3 if I remember rightly.
For example I personally hate metal. And if it was the occasional song I wouldn't mind, but if some one Is playing non stop metal I'm gonna turn it off.
In my opinion, The station should cater for the masses and not the few. Take a look at the games our plugins cater for, The audience don't seem to be J poppers, I suppose if we supported the manga type jap gaming then J pop would be prevalent, but as we don't it isn't, you will hear the occasional j pop track and you can request them but it will be limited.
I know you have listened to my show,  try to request a track by pretty much any of the reality TV show muppets, (x factor,pop idol  etc,) It's unlikely to happen, but I do play track from artists is don't particularly like, as they were requested by "our listeners" so I'm sure if I have a Jpop track , I could play the ODD ONE.

I love gangsta rap. But due to the content of the songs they are pretty much banned unless a clean edit is out there, so my favoutrites like Eminem, 50 cent, ice t , biggy and the likes are not gonna see the airtime either.
As I write this, Take That are on. I'm sure some listeners like them but,  I could gladly never hear them again..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:29:28 AM by Stevy6 »
Check me out on hive365 live Sunday 9-11 pm and follow me on Twitter @djstevy6

Offline Jup3KW

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:56:50 AM »
From my personal view, I don't mind that some DJs play for ex. metal non stop, then so be it. I find it more entertaining when there is actually a DJ playing music than just The Beekeeper. And if you don't like it, you can just tune out and come back later.
There will always be different opinions about the music the DJs play, but I think it's pretty cool that there are DJs that play different kind of music for the people that either or loves it or hates it, or that they don't have an opinion but tunes in anyways.

PS. I like Jpop and I would like to hear more of him :)

Offline ganon11000

• Ganon11000
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »

For example I personally hate metal. And if it was the occasional song I wouldn't mind, but if some one Is playing non stop metal I'm gonna turn it off.
Terra did a Metal show which had a small niche audience without metal getting banned. I don't even play JPop non-stop, At the moment I only play it when it's requested.
manga type jap gaming
Please stop. You make you and the station look really bad. If you didn't know, "Jap" is an Ethnic Slur (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap) Please use "Japanese" since it is not poentially racist. Also Manga is Japanese comic books ;)

Offline ItsBootySeason

• Boy from Germany who enjoys music and gaming
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »
I personally find it pretty dumb that J-Pop got banned. What I loved about Ganon's Stream so much was how I could meet new Genres and Songs every single time he is on air. Maybe there are some people who don't like J-Pop, but there will always be People who don't like Metal or Pop as well. Should those be banned then too?
It's not like he is non-stop playing J-Pop. He is mixing in randomness.

Offline SmJe

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 01:17:33 PM »
There are multiple reasons as to why we no longer allow our presenters to play J-Pop. For the most part our listeners tend to tune out when such music is played. We received many a request from listeners to stop playing J-Pop, which by far out weighed other genre's. We also see a dip in listeners in general when this genre is played, compared to others.

I agree there are some out there who would tune in but by in large they are the minority. Looking at other genre's to identify what should and shouldn't be played is difficult. However Rock, Pop, R&B and Rap amongst others are identified as the most popular form of music. Not only on our station but in most cultures and demographics and this is shown by demand.

Again this is not to say other genre's wont get listeners, but all in all we have to cater to the majority not the minority of our listener base. Unlike some radio stations we are not genre driven, playing just one type of music or a very select music base. As such we encourage our presenters to broadcast their own taste of music, but occasionally we do have to put limitations on what can be aired. This in part due to demand and other reasons.

However as it stands, yes J-Pop in its entirety is 'banned' and currently any presenter flaunting this rule will be dealt with separately. We may relax this rule in the future but at present this is unlikely to change.

Offline NoXid

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 12:01:58 AM »
Hello

I just gotta tell how it seems outta my point of view. Sorry for any spelling mistakes and everything.

Hive365 is an awesome Internet Radio. Why is it that? because of the DJs playing all requests and just try their best to entertain the people. The people who are they? They are not just some normal radio listeners..if you want to listen to standart music you just can turn on the radio and there you go. The most people are gamers. Thats why Hive is so popular cause of the plugins for our favorite games etc. And how I said gamers are people who like weird shit some like Nightcore some like Western some Like Death metal some like JPop. and here we get to the point of JPop

First of all i really really don`t like JPop. I would more like to even listen to One Direction(burgh!) than Jpop. Also I dont like Western Style Music and some others and thats the Point I support varaity in music and I believe it is wrong to ban any kind of genre even justin bieber has his fans. So why ban JPop? If you want to be a standart Radio take a listen to them all they sent is the normal stuff but I have never heard of anyone playing hardcore "Western" or Nightcore or anything else like that. Cause most people dont like that and thats why Hive 365 excist. People who like to listen not to the normal music.

Why can`t be found another solution? Not just banning it. There Presenters make their shows so they can play what they like and fans are coming for thoses shows. Just want to mention Ganon's show. Big part of his show was Jpop but still I really enjoyed his show cause he entertained me so much he is the reason why I applied as an presenter. So I can understand that Hive want to grow but going away from the origin is not the best Idea. There will always be people who dont like something. People don`t like rap. They hate. People don't like pop. They hate. no matter what you can`t make everyone happy at the same time but thats the art of radio making a mix out of everything so everyone still enjoys that. Gagnon made that very good he made it so awesome that I didnt mind that he was playing JPop. And If I want something else I just sent him a request and he tried to play it as soon as possible.

And if there are 2 hours a week with JPop I dont think that will kill audience or anything like that. I mean sure it shouldnt take overhand or anything. Another Idea is why just dont make then 2 streams? One for these who really dont want to listen to it and then one who is with some Jpop so they can switch between if they hate on it. everyone is happy doesn`t solve something like that the problem?

After All i dont wan`t to insult anyone. This should not offend anyone. I just want to help and tell out of my view what I think about it.

Kindest Regards
NoXid
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:03:42 AM by NoXid »

Offline Demo

• Owner/Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 12:31:02 AM »
As Stated in a previous post:

We have to cater to the Majority not the Minority of our listeners.
J-Pop is classed as a Minority with Hive365.
99% of listeners don't want it so at this stage, There is no need to play it.

Hope this helps as ban wont get lifted anytime soon.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:33:13 AM by Demo »

Offline ItsBootySeason

• Boy from Germany who enjoys music and gaming
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 09:40:42 AM »
As Stated in a previous post:

99% of listeners don't want it

Have you ever been to school? It is impossible that 99% of the listeners don't like J-Pop.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 09:45:53 AM by ItsBootySeason »

Offline SmJe

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 09:15:08 PM »
Thread Locked,

As stated multiple times above this is a management decision, this won't be changed until further notice.

Thanks